VCA Animal Hospitals has a unique leadership and business management opportunity for a Regional Operations Director (ROD) to join our team in the Northern California area.
This individual will serve as the business leader, guiding the business development, growth and operations of our small animal veterinary hospitals in the region. The bulk of the ROD’s time is spent traveling to the various hospital locations and working with their hospital teams. Some air travel is expected.
The Regional Operations Director reports to and is directed by the Senior Regional Vice President. The ROD is an integral part of the management team of these hospitals, that includes the Regional Medical Director (RMD), a Regional Technical Development Coordinator and a Recruiting & Professional Relations Director (RPRD). This Management team has full responsibility for all operations, medical standards, personnel hiring, and management of the general practice and specialty hospitals within the region.
- Ensuring that each hospital has a customer centric culture and focus.
- Maintaining a strong presence in all hospitals, including frequent scheduled and non-scheduled on-site visits, and otherwise provide consistent accessibility via email and phone to both the hospital teams and fellow management team members.
- Supporting our doctors in their daily efforts and working to create long term, meaningful relationships with the doctor teams that foster engaged dialogue and professional development.
- Ensuring that doctors are marketing the hospital and services in a meaningful and regular way.
- Responsibility for effective and timely DVM and pet owner communications by the hospital team.
- Ensuring that VCA’s standards of quality medical practice and client service are followed in all hospitals.
- Providing a consistently positive impression of VCA to both hospital team members and colleagues within the local veterinary and business community alike.
- Empowering staff and doctors to find ways to delight our constituents.
- Responsibility for administration and review of non-medical client complaints not able to be handled by the hospital teams.
- Developing top talent in the Medical Director and Hospital Manager roles in each hospital.
- Motivating Medical Directors and Hospital Managers to maintain an “owner mentality”.
- Accurately evaluating the performance of Medical Directors and Hospital Managers to ensure that each has clear expectations and goals, and has the support to be able to reach them.
- Engaging in continuous dialogue with the hospital leadership team on topics such as: Business Development; Exceeding Client Expectations; Day-to-Day Business Operations; Utilizing the P&L statement to affect positive business results; Staff motivation and morale.
- Responsibility over all HR issues, hiring decisions, and overall quality of the workplace environment.
- Responsibility for hospital revenue growth and achieving margin goals.
- Responsibility for creating and then meeting or exceeding budgets.
- Responsibility for regular evaluation of service and product fees.
- Responsibility for auditing hospital production for accuracy and fee capture.
- Responsibility for driving the strategy of service mix and future service needs in the market.
- Understanding of applicable laws and guidelines with regard to the veterinary profession, labor laws, controlled substance guidelines, and workplace safety requirements.
- Understanding and supporting the VCA brand and marketing tools available to promote new and existing business.
- Understanding the climate impacting the region’s hospitals and aggressively search for ways to market the hospital, doctors, specialists, and services.
- Actively participating in appropriate veterinary groups and associations in order to stay current on trends and issues that might impact the business.
- Evaluating needs and execute proformas for equipment purchases.
- Initiating and actively supervising facilities improvement projects as warranted.
- We offer competitive compensation, generous benefits package, flexible work schedule, and the opportunity for career growth within VCA.