*Shift differential pay offered for this overnight position*
Location: Kanab, Utah
Position Summary: Work closely with Veterinarians, Veterinary Assistants, Clinic and Senior Technicians, Team Leader, and Clinic support staff to provide evening and overnight monitoring and medical care to all patients seen by the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary Clinic. Duties encompass a wide array of tasks including but not limited to all aspects of triage and veterinary nursing care, medical record management, client communication, and providing financial itemization for all services provided. Medical care provided by an Evening /Overnight Clinic Veterinary Technician must be performed with general and specialized understanding of position responsibilities. They must be able to work independently and perform a majority of skills with minimal or no guidance.
- Communicate professionally and with a high level of customer service to Clients, Veterinary staff, Management and other Sanctuary departments regarding all job responsibilities, especially the health of clinic patients.
- Maintain the ability to follow policies and procedures set by the Medical Director and Medical Operations Manager.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding patient status/treatment, client information and other sensitive clinic operations.
- Act as liaison between Veterinarians, Clinic Staff & Management, and Owners/Caregivers regarding the health, status, and welfare of all hospitalized and discharged out-patients.
- Exercise appropriate triage skills & medical judgement when an animal presents for emergency after hours in regards to contacting the on-call veterinarian and communicating the details and urgency of the case.
- Have medical skills associated with all aspects of hospitalized patients: following treatment sheets, recognizing and communicating changes in patient status, common and specialized diagnostic procedures, triage basics, alternative medicine.
- Have surgical skills associated with all aspects of surgical patients: sterile technique, assisting the veterinarian intra-operatively, surgical induction, post-operative care, recognizing anesthetic complications, perioperative monitoring, and operating specialized equipment.
- Perform husbandry, triage, phlebotomy, labwork, IV catheter placement, radiology, ultrasound, wound management/bandaging, fluid maintenance, injectable and oral medication administration, laser treatment, intubation/extubation, monitoring and maintenance of anesthesia, etc.
- Perform solely or in conjunction with a Veterinarian (or Senior Technician) special procedures including: chemotherapy, blood transfusions, maintaining feeding tubes/chest tubes/urinary catheters, dentals, critical care of medical and surgical patients, physical therapy, euthanasia.
- Perform above medical skills while following strict quarantine/Isolation protocols.
- Perform laboratory testing and basic interpretation: CBC, chemistry panels, T4, urinalysis/fecal analysis (multiple species), ear cytology, PT/PTT, blood smears, facilitate outside lab work, etc.
- Have a working knowledge of medical conditions, terminology, transcription and data entry.
- Have sound mathematical knowledge of veterinary medicine in order to properly dose medications fluids, CRIs.
- Provide medical care for animals that have significant behavioral issues, which can include but is not limited to shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Independently perform proper and humane medical restraint techniques for multiple species.
- Maintain appropriate standard of care protocols: clean housing, fresh food, fresh water, clean litter box, new bedding.
- Other duties as assigned.