SPCA Tampa Bay is looking immediately for a full time experienced or trained shelter veterinarian to join our organization. We are an open admission, private non-profit shelter located in Pinellas County, and take in mostly owner surrendered pets.
Intake is approximately 8000 animals per year, including about 5000 dogs and cats, 1500 pocket pets/birds/reptiles, and about 1500 wildlife animals (which are mostly triaged then sent immediately to local rehab). We see a very limited number of pet pigs, and very occasionally some goats and sheep.
From our job description:
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Support all veterinary services including: emergency care, medical care and treatment, infectious disease prevention and control, necropsy and disposition of animals, volunteer foster care, employee pet care, and veterinarian externship and internships.
• Perform and direct euthanasia, in accordance with AVMA and ASV standards.
• Perform high volume, high quality spay and neuter surgeries.
• Perform other soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries as resources and training permit.
• Support efforts, as needed, by evaluating and providing documentation of the medical condition (including necropsies) of all animals involved in cruelty and neglect investigations.
• Mentor veterinary students in the externship program and veterinarians completing a shelter internship.
• Oversee record keeping of controlled drugs and supplies.
• Oversee ordering and inventory of medications and medical supplies.
• Act as spokesperson for animal cases, media opportunities and medical education or provide expert witness testimony as needed.
• Provide animal stories for SPCA media staff.
• Establish, monitor and update as necessary the standards and protocols of animal care, handling and sanitation.
• Assist in the recruitment, selection, supervision, evaluation and training of direct reports.
• Provide direction and assist in the recruitment, selection and evaluation of other department staff.
• Participate in the collection of, and evaluate pertinent data, for monthly/annual dashboard data and trend reports for either the shelter, or spay/neuter clinic
• Serve as a member of the leadership team.
• Provide friendly, responsive and personalized customer service.
• Keep, and ensure department staff maintain, accurate and updated records in appropriate medical record software.
• Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
• Participate in required meetings and trainings, special events and fund raising functions.
• Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay at all times.
• All other duties as assigned.