Job Seekers, Welcome to AVMA Veterinary Career Center
Employer Resources5 EASY STEPS TO CREATE A SUCCESSFUL JOB LISTING
Make the most of your job listing by marketing the position in a way that makes your opportunity and practice attract the best possible candidates.
The Candidate Experience
The following is intended to be a summary of best practices for posting jobs online that comply with the Immigration and Nationality Act.
AVMA Veterinary Career Center prohibits any posting that requires U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence in the U.S. as a condition of employment, unless otherwise required in order to comply with law, regulation, executive order, or government contract and requires that all employers treat equally U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, temporary residents, asylees, and refugees in recruitment or hiring.
Please avoid the following language in job postings:
Only U.S. Citizens
Only U.S. Citizens or Green Card Holders
Must have a U.S. Passport
Must have a green card
*UNLESS U.S. citizenship is required by law, regulation, executive order, or government contract.
For more information, please go to http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/osc/htm/best_practices.php
You can also view Look At The Facts. Not At The Faces. Your Guide To Fair Employment which can be found at http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/osc/pdf/publications/ee_factsfaces_english2.pdf
It is illegal for an employer to publish a job posting that shows a preference for or discourages someone from applying for a job because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. For example, a job posting that seeks "recent college graduates" may discourage people over 40 from applying and may violate the law.
It is also illegal for an employer to recruit new employees in a way that discriminates against them. For example, an employer's reliance on word-of-mouth recruitment by its mostly Hispanic work force may violate the law if the result is that almost all new hires are Hispanic.
Creating Job Postings That Attract Top Talent.
A job posting is more than the description of an open position. To attract great candidates, employers should put on their marketing hat and strive to create powerful sales pieces for their organization and the job itself. Too often, job postings are developed from a stiff, factual point of view, which results in messages that fail to promote the organization’s unique value and brand.
By using the following steps, you can create a compelling posting that will grab job seekers’ attention and encourage them to dig deeper and apply to your opportunity.
Step 1: Make a list covering…
- A description of your organization’s culture, mission and vision.
- The education and experience required or preferred.
- The primary responsibilities of the position including work schedule.
- The unique features of working at your organization including opportunities for career advancement.
Step 2: Put yourself in the candidates’ shoes by answering these questions…
- What would compel you to make a job change?
- What would attract your attention in a job posting?
- What information would you need to see in a job posting to make you curious about the business and position?
Step 3: Use your marketing skills…
- Create an eye-catching title that gives details about the position and location.
- Write a brief paragraph to express your organization’s mission, vision and values.
- Give a detailed description of the responsibilities and expectations of the position including work schedule. Tie the responsibilities of the position to your organization’s overall direction and goals. Highlight required (or preferred) skills and characteristics.
- Use bullet points to make it easy to read.
- Describe your benefits package and salary range and include any incentives and professional development opportunities.
With a job posting that is inspiring, interesting, and tells a story, you will attract the quality candidates who can make a difference for your organization.
Sample Job Posting
XYZ Animal Hospital is growing and we are looking to add a Full-Time Veterinarian to meet our client’s and patient’s needs! Our well-established practice with an outstanding reputation has recently moved into a fully updated facility to offer the best care possible. Our seasoned support staff are capable and passionate and anticipate our doctors’ needs throughout appointments and surgery.
We fully collaborate as a team to discuss patient care for the best outcomes for our clients and patients. We pride ourselves for having a supportive, caring and highly professional working environment.
We are looking for a veterinarian and offer:
Along with competitive salary and 401k, we pay for dues, license fees, insurance and CE hours. Student loan repayment assistance is available after 9 months. Committed to work/life balance, our flexible scheduling allows for time to enjoy our town and the surrounding areas.
Customer Service - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 1-888-491-8833